Has someone finally recommended you a kung-fu film? If that’s the case, it’s time you start reading about kung-fu, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Asian martial arts films. You don’t want to spoil the experience. Martial arts films were once a huge hit and some of them such as Enter the Dragon gave us the biggest martial arts stars of all times. It seems mandatory to learn a few things before you watch a martial arts film for the first time in your life.
Here are the 5 most amusing facts about kung-fu movies that you should know.
- It’s possible to mow down and enemy with an everyday object. No matter which kung-fu movie you decide to watch this weekend, it’s definitely going to involve someone mowing down enemies with a household object. You’d never think about using it the way your protagonist is going to use it. This is routine for martial arts films and it’s not something impossible. There are number of people in the world who have mastered the art of using ordinary things as deadly weapons.
- One man defeating hundred men is another amusing thing you’d see in martial arts films. You’d definitely want to be someone who could fight that many trained dacoits. But you won’t believe it and this will ruin your mood. You won’t enjoy the movie. So know it before you watch it – this is possible. Read about the infamous 100-man Kumite Shields. That’s where one man takes on hundred trained martial artists. Although only a handful of men have succeeded at these tournaments, there has never been a doubt about existence of these tournaments.
- Catching arrows looks like an insane and a poor camera trick. Don’t be fooled by low production quality of most martial arts films. Catching arrows is possible and there are number of people recorded in Guinness Book of World Records who can do the feat. There is also a world champion in catching arrows as recorded by Guinness Book of World Records. So don’t let the low post-production spoil the fun. Kung Fu masters can catch the arrows.
- Kung Fu masters become even more brutal when they drink something. There is nothing there to spoil your mood. It’s one of the best sights to see a fight in drunken martial arts style. It’s a legal style and there are many masters of this style around the world. The next time you see your protagonist doing the famous drunken style, don’t start laughing. He can kick off your butt in no time.
- The infamous one-inch punch is a reality. There are some martial arts films that show someone hitting a punch from so close that it would simply be impossible to draw any power and yet the punch does some real damage. It’s a reality and many martial artists are experts at delivering the one-inch punch. You only need an inch of space to draw out this punch. Bruce Lee has publicly demonstrated this punch. The History Channel made a documentary about this one-inch punch recently. You can look up for it on YouTube.